Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Count it all Joy: Focusing on the Sweetness of the Bittersweet in Life



"...count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing."  ~ James 1:2-4

Depending on ones individual perspective yesterday should have been a bittersweet day for me. You see, yesterday, June 3, 2014, was the four year anniversary of the memorial service we had for my Dad following his transition from this life and my world. That should have been the bitter part. Yet, the day was not bitter for me at all.  Instead, it was a day saturated in the sweetness of joy and love life also brings. I say that because June 3rd was also the celebration of my baby girl's two years old birthday. Consequently, this also meant I have successfully survived the first two years of my new role as mommy as well.  From my perspective that's the sweet part.

Although I definitely held my Dad's memory in thought, I felt no sadness or sorrow. Where there once was deep hurt and pain over missing him, only peace and joy resided in my heart. The peace of knowing my Dad no longer has to endure the long-suffering of pain from his health condition, that eventually lead to the outcome of his passing. And the awareness and respect that he was tired of living that way thus, ready to leave here and return to the loving light of our holy creator.

I also felt peace from the truth that my Dad is still with me in spirit because bond of love we shared can never die. Love and Spirit transcends the life of the physical body.
So as I hold my Dad in heart and mind each day knowing he remains alive in and through me this way as I reflect only on the fond memories that we shared while he was here, which also gives me peace.

While I miss my Dad immensely, I deeply appreciate the 74 years he was here of which 39 of them I had the opportunity to share with him as his baby girl, which was a gift from God within itself. So from my perspective I see all the aforementioned as a huge blessing that gives me no reason to feel bitter on the day that marks another year of his passing. Instead, it gives me every reason to feel gratitude, peace and love.


I am also thankful for the spiritual insight and understanding that whenever a so called, "void" is created in your life God always fills it with something else to balance out that empty space. In my case, the void created in my heart, my life, and my world following the passing of my Dad, was filled by God with the birth of my beautiful baby girl exactly two years to the day later of his memorial service. 

So rather than bitterness yesterday, I chose to place my focus on the sweetness of God's goodness, grace, and perfection of His love expressed and proven to me time and time again in the most wonderful and miraculous ways. The result in doing so was all the joy I was able to see around me and the peace I felt in my heart. And the extra bonus to my having this positive perspective, on my otherwise "bittersweet day", was the revelation I received that made it all so simply and clear.

It occurred to me that if we make a conscious choice, as I did, to place our focus only on the good in everything that unfolds in life, even when it's unfolding in a way we neither understand or desire, we will be able to always see just how good and gracious God truly is, not some of the time...but ALL of the time. I share this experience with you as my personal evidence that He really does work all things together for good. 

With that said, I leave you with this scripture from  1 Timothy 4:4, "Everything that God has created is good; nothing is to be rejected, but everything is to be received with a prayer of thanks..."

Until next time, I surround you in Love & light! So remember to keep your heart open and let your love light shine bright.



A One Love Production
By Anna "Ms.Poet" Hendricks
copyright 2014
References: Heading Quote, James 1:2-4, New King James Version, biblegateway.com
Closing Quote, 1 Timothy 4:4, The Good News Bible Translation,

  

No comments:

Post a Comment